FDI & Exporting
IEDC Foreign Direct Investment & Exporting Course
March 19th to 20th, 2018 - Element Vancouver Metrotown, Burnaby
This advanced course teaches the core components to bring the world economy to your community’s front door. Foreign direct investment (FDI) and exporting are now essential components of a local economic development strategy. Attendees will learn how to attract foreign investors, from identifying targeted sectors to engaging new businesses. They will also explore how to facilitate exports in their community, with an emphasis on how existing federal and provincial/state programs can assist. The course will cover all aspects of doing business with foreign entities, from cultural differences to tax and financing issues.
Now a required course for IEDC Certification!
BCEDA/IEDC Member - $500 + GST
Non-Member - $650 + GST
• Understanding how the federal government specifically supports EDOs in pursuit of FDI and in growing exports, especially among small to medium sized businesses.
• In-depth coverage of how to make the most of trade shows and trade missions, including working with elected officials and dealing with the press.
• Explanation of why an investor would be interested in setting up operations in the United States, and the means by which they may undertake investment from mergers and acquisitions to new greenfield development.
• Private and public financing programs that ensure exporters of any size have access to capital and insurance
• How foreign business climates differ from that of the United States, and how to navigate in new markets, as well as welcome different cultures into your community.
• Review of trade policy including what steps can be taken if a company encounters trade barriers, such as tariffs or unnecessary regulation