Code of Ethics
British Columbia Economic Development Association Basic Code of Ethics
Adopted September 12, 2012 by the BCEDA Board of Directors
The following code of ethics was established by the professional economic developers in the British Columbia Economic Development Association to ensure a high ethical standard for those involved in economic development. The code of ethics was originally developed by the International Development Council.
- Professional economic developers shall carry out their responsibilities in a manner to bring respect to the profession, the economic developer and the economic developer's constituencies.
- Professional economic developers shall practice with integrity, honesty, and adherence to the trust placed in them both in fact and in appearance.
- Professional economic developers will hold themselves free of any interest, influence, or relationship in respect to any professional activity when dealing with clients which could impair professional judgement or objectivity or which in the reasonable view of the observer, has that effect.
- Professional economic developers are mindful that they are representatives of the community and shall represent the overall community interest.
- Professional economic developers shall keep the community, elected officials, boards and other stakeholders informed about the progress and efforts of the area's economic development program.
- Professional economic developers shall maintain in confidence the affairs of any client, colleague or organization and shall not disclose confidential information obtained in the course of professional activities.
- Professional economic developers shall openly share information with the governing body according to protocols established by that body. Such protocols shall be disclosed to clients and the public.
- Professional economic developers shall cooperate with peers to the betterment of economic development technique, ability, and practice, and to strive to perfect themselves in their professional abilities through training and educational opportunities.
- Professional economic developers shall assure that all economic development activities are conducted with equality of opportunity for all segments of the community without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, disability, age, marital status, or socioeconomic status.
- Professional economic developers shall abide by the principles established in this code and comply with the rules of professional conduct as promulgated by BCEDA.
Click here to download a hard copy of the Code of Ethics and Violations Policy Manual